As a staff member in the integrated teams within the Orthodontic and Maxillo Facial Unit Service, the Dental Nurse will participate in the development of both Units as directed by the Senior Dental Nurse Team Leader and Outpatient Sisters, ensuring a quality service.
The post holder will take an active part in the delivery of care and ensure the safety of the patient at all times. They will work alongside the Orthodontist chairside supporting treatments for IOTN 5 for the local population, and will carry out Dental Nurse led Oral Health Education clinics for Orthodontic patients.
The Oral and Maxillo Facial department treats a range of oral and dental conditions and undertakes procedures under local and general anaesthesia. It provides a nurse-led impression taking clinic for bite splints.
The post holder will also support Maxillo Facial clinics and function across the range of clinical and administrative activities within the department.
1. Participate in the preparation of the clinic and assist effectively to attain waiting times and liaise with the Dental Nurse in charge to monitor these standards.
1. Participate in the giving of health education in relation to oral care to the patients and their carers with relation to pre and post op surgery care.
1. Participate using all communication skills in dealing with nervous and anxious patients and those with special need requirements where there may be communication difficulties or challenging behaviour.
1. Assess and give oral hygiene instruction to patients with orthodontic appliances and to demonstrate care of fixed and removable appliances using a range visual aids. To be able to demonstrate technical skills to less experienced staff.
1. Ensure and maintain high standards of infection control. To liaise closely with the Trust sterilisation unit.
1. Become familiar with the technical aspects of the role, learning skills to assist with all the clinics within the dental and maxilla facial specialities.
1. Ensure that safe measurable standards of practice and high quality care are of paramount importance at all times.
1. Monitor and report use of consumables in order to keep a well stocked working environment.
1. Maintain and develop IT knowledge with-in house courses for future Trust developments. You will be expected to record accurate data in accordance with the requirements for the service.
1. To assist with Minor Operations in the Oral Surgery/Maxillo Facial clinic
1. Deliver appropriate care and treatment to meet individual patients, physical, social and psychological needs.
1. To ensure the following standards are met and promoted within the outpatient areas:
Respect for privacy, dignity and religious and cultural beliefs.
Information to relative and friend with regards the progress of treatment, subject to the patient‘s wishes.
Working for Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust will provide you with lots of opportunity to develop your skills and further your career. The Trust provides services to the 440,000 residents of Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre and North Lancashire.
As a Trust we are committed to:
- Developing new roles and ways of working to ensure a flexible and innovative approach to staff.
- Real equality of opportunity.
- Continual development and learning for staff.
- Achieving a work life balance.
We are committed to the effective recruitment, retention and development for our employees, which is why we offer a great working environment, an attractive range of benefits and excellent opportunities for training and development.
The Trust is accredited as a disability Confident employer. That means we recognise our obligations to ensure people with disabilities are afforded equal opportunity to enter employment and progress if and where possible.